Saturday, June 11, 2016

On Purpose How We Create the Meaning of Life by Paul Froese

★★★☐☐ The publisher has provided a copy for review.
Froese notes how every culture (and most individuals) look for purpose in living our lives. Packed with studies and personal observations, this book brings together environment, personality, and experiences that shape us.

An interesting look at purpose as "the personal meaning we give to any experience." If you're on the hunt to find out what gives life meaning, this reviews many paths that people pursue to self-discovery.

The open-ended "your purpose is whatever you believe it to be" left me unsatisfied. I don't want to be told what my purpose is by other people, but neither do I want life to be so meaningless that any path can get me to the goal. No journey I've ever been proves that to be the way home - or forward. Why would I entrust my life to a random self-assignment?

No comments:

Post a Comment