Friday, September 27, 2024

Deep Reading: Practices to Subvert the Vices of Our Distracted, Hostile, and Consumeristic Age by Rachel B. Griffis; Julie Ooms; Rachel M. De Smith Roberts

★★★★ ☐ The publisher has provided a copy for review.
 Oh dear me. I've always been a skimmer and a surface-scratching reader, who only takes the plunge into material when doing research for a specific class. I guess this one is written for me. (And for you, if you use a similar skip-and-glean technique.)

For me, reading as a spiritual practice is mostly confined to the Bible. And I hardly read it - I listen through it 5-6X a year. My husband the theologian reads for breadth and depth as well as entertainment.

So whatever your style, read and consider this admonition. It's your encouragement to find a book that others have found meaningful. Use it as a spiritual drink, a sabbath rest, and a spiritual reflection to see God, others, and self more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment