Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Walnut Mansion by Miljenko Jergovic

☐ The publisher has provided a copy for review.
I was revolted, amused, confused, and finally had to let this one go before I finished it. There was too much psychoanalysis and dredging around in convoluted psyches to be an enjoyable read.

Very "Eastern European" characters - how else can I describe the small-village penchant for digging in everyone's business and the charm and dismay of looking too deeply and intensely into the past and present? (My parents were European immigrants and I "know these people.")

I didn't grow to like or cheer for the characters, so that killed it for me, too. Glad to have a chance at this: the orientation was too "literary" for the read I expected. I may have a PhD but I want to be entertained and captured by fiction (or movies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment