Friday, March 1, 2024

Magic Pill: the Extraordinary Benefits and Disturbing Risks of the New Weight-Loss Drugs by Johann Hari

★★★★★  The publisher provided a copy for review.

Oh boy! If your weight is affecting your health, this is a must-read. If you're sick of yo-yo dieting, grab this book. If you're considering using some of the new diet drugs, read this first.

Whether you are overweight because of genetics, addiction to food, health issues, or personal choice, get this careful study. Hari examines obesity, the consequences and liabilities of being perceived as "fat" in Western culture, and the weight-loss drugs that make "the new skinny" a first-time reality for many.

I was introduced to Johann Hari through Stolen Focus, his exposé of digital addiction. It blew me away and changed my habits. (Read that review here.)

Now here comes a startling review of another current crucial issue. But Hari's writing style is compelling and readable. He highlights the advantages, risks, and unknowns of what's being unleashed in the world.

Let me say this: I am not the target market for Ozempic or the other diet drugs. Yet be forewarned. I stayed up late into the night to finish this one. And I included the subtitle above for clarity (which I rarely do).

The book contains information and implications you need to know, either for yourself or to share with others.

Read it if you or someone you care about is struggling with excess weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment