Wednesday, February 3, 2016

"Print heaven" or Modern Printmaking: A guide to traditional and digital techniques by Sylvie Covey

★★★★★  The publisher provided a copy for review.
Covey knows her stuff. I love printmaking, so when I saw this book at Daniel Smith (Seattle), I couldn't resist it. A bunch of us gathered around after a printmaking workshop and a few splurged after we all oohed-and-aahed. (Then I remembered that the publisher was sending a review copy. What a beautiful BONUS!)

This book covers the global history, the whys, and the how-tos of relief, intaglio, lithography, mixed media, and new printmaking techniques. Covey includes global traditional and updated instructions.

I wish I'd had it years ago: her pictures and careful lists walk you through the whole process - from materials (and substitutions), to paper and ink, to the basics and beyond.

I could have done a lot more with so much variety and clear direction. I enjoyed my instructors - but at home in a printmaking session, I'd occasionally forget the next step. No more!

This bright, beautiful textbook brims with techniques and artwork. It will be helpful for artists seeking to understand the process as well as printmakers, from beginner to expert.


Yup. Buy it if you've ever been interested in printmaking. Most highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment