Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Forgetting by Scott A. Small


★★★★ ☐ The publisher has provided a copy for review.

The title made me laugh. I may be the world's best "forgetter." When they're over, I shed memories of events and places. I never remember restaurants or hotels. I forget people and meetings. I hardly remember anything - which is why I blog (Peaceful Ones). Writing it down means I can go back to remember what's just happened or who we met a few years ago in that town somewhere on the plain or in the valley.

Small insists that we don't have to remember everything and that forgetting is a gift to the mind and heart. The rigidity and inflexibility of having to tell a joke exactly the same way or putting a book back on the shelf in the same order (for all but librarians?!) takes a lot of energy and causes anxiety. How memory is absorbed and shed is a mark of mental health or disease.

The author examines the gift of forgetting - that we can redo memories, find new joys in old places, and reinvent ourselves - past and future. Read this book as part of the adventure of exploring the wonderful and complex beings God created. You'll appreciate those forgotten moments more than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment