Tuesday, September 19, 2023

The Pastoral Epistles by Stanley E. Porter


★★★★★  The publisher provided a copy for review. 

The delightful thing about this volume is that how comprehensive and engaging it feels. When I preach, I want to be certain not to make up things or read impossibilities into the text. This is my new guidebook to the Pastoral Epistles.

For a linguist interested in details for accurate translation, the phrase by phrase, in context treatment of these letters is a pleasure. This book offers insights into how the language was normally used as well as innovations of use and form by New Testament writers.

For a preacher like me, it offers a breadth of background, dictionary, lexicon, and function. I've long ago left my Hebrew and NT Greek classes behind, as have so many Bible and theology students. To have a gifted scholar teach us and remind us of structure, culture, and meaning is a true gift. It will change what you say to your congregation and classroom as well as how you say it. My husband is a theology prof so he'll be picking up a copy as well. 

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment